Saturday, March 6, 2010

Tethered Generativity

After studying for the midterm, I was thinking that even though a technology is technically tethered, it sometimes can still be generative. The first example that comes to mind is AOL Instant Messager.







This became apparent to me when I was playing with my new Blackberry, and I had five different instant messaging applications to choose from. Now, I'm sure that there was an instant messaging program that preceeded AIM, but whatever it was, I now have the capability to instant message from AIM, Yahoo, Google Talk, Windows Live and Blackberry. They all have different features that make them unique. Google Talk can be used in conjunction with Google Wave. Blackberry can be used anywhere, even overseas, with access to a phone line. So, I think that they are tethered technologies, but their ideas were clearly generative.

I imagine the same goes for all software. Before I had this idea, I did not really have an opinion on open source or private, but I think if things were open, we really would have a lot of good ideas floating around on the WWW. Knowing the codes definitely make the software easier to adapt, therefore granting endless possibilities of what it is capable of doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment