Saturday, March 20, 2010

Course Evaluations

Everyone hates doing course evaluations. Lots of us just throw them out, others scribble down the fastest thing they can write and get out of there like the room is on fire. There are some other times, though, when we actually put effort into them.

Have you ever looked at the results on the CUA evaluation page? I like to check it once and a while when a particular course has struck me in a very positive or very negative way. I find that my peers and I share similar opinions when it comes to certain professors and their teaching methods. I realized that their methods are evaluated by the students in a very similar way to the university personalization standards that we discussed.

For instance, the teachers I've had that utilize new media methods, engage the students in their teachings and are often on the younger side of the age spectrum get considerably higher marks than the old-school style teachers who lecture and write on the board get lower marks. So, even without discussing university personalization in a formal class setting, it would appear that our peers already have expectations of it.

4 comments:

  1. Very helpful!! I never knew about that page and I just checked it out and I will most certainly use it in the future now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also never knew you could find the results of course evaluation, this is very useful information, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only do students expect a certain level of new media to be used in their courses, they deserve/demand it. We're paying for a product - education is a commodity. If a professor isn't giving us what we're paying for, they should be dismissed from the university.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if such a definitive statement can be made. I mean, we're talking about years of history in education that have set things up a certain way, and until this point have worked. You can't just dismiss the old school ways of teaching so easily. Especially when the new school way, with media integration, have been proven effective or even able to be standardized. There are many students who learn best from the chalkboard method.

    Besides, we have classrooms that aren't web equipped.. hell, the university doesn't even have campus wide wireless internet. How could we possibly demand something that the school isn't capable of?

    ReplyDelete